TRUSTEE (LIVED EXPERIENCE)
We are currently looking to recruit a new trustee to our board who has lived experience of homelessness.
We particularly welcome applications from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) & LGBTQ+ individuals and people with disabilities, who are currently underrepresented at board level.
The Choir with No Name’s mission is to enable as many homeless and marginalised people as possible to beat loneliness and build their confidence and skills through singing. Currently operational in London, Birmingham, Brighton and Liverpool, we run choirs - providing weekly rehearsals, inspirational performances, a meal after each rehearsal and outreach singing workshops to homeless people, and others marginalised by their mental health, substance use and other circumstances.
For more information on our work, please see our impact report for 2018/19.
All our work is underpinned by a dedicated board of trustees who bring valuable, diverse skills and experience and lead the organisation’s strategic direction and growth. We are committed to including the voice of people with lived experience of homelessness at every level of our organisation, and so would love someone who fits that mould to lend their voice to our trustee board.
- To counsel and support the board and relevant staff on ensuring our services, communications, strategy and goals involve meaningful participation from our choir members and are appropriate and sensitive
- To prioritise the wellbeing of our choir members through all of our activities
- To use your experience, knowledge and contacts to help the organisation develop and maximise its potential
- To attend quarterly trustees meetings (usually in central London)
- To contribute actively to the board of trustees' discussions, helping to give firm strategic direction to the organisation, set policy, define goals and set targets, and evaluate performance against agreed targets
- To ensure that the organisation follows the aims set out in its governing document, and uses its resources exclusively for those aims
- To safeguard the good name and values of the organisation
- To oversee the effective and efficient administration of the organisation
- Strategic vision
- Commitment to the organisation and its values
- Willingness to devote the necessary time and effort, including being available to staff to give advice on a reasonable ad hoc basis
- Willingless to develop an understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship (we can provide training!)
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team
- Lived experience of homelessness and using homeless services
Trustee roles are unpaid voluntary positions, but we do offer expenses.
Term of Office
The recommended term as a Trustee is 3 years, and if all is going well, can be repeated for another three years. However, a trustee can step down at any time, and if a candidate wishes to commit less time than this we would still love to see an application.
Please email your CV and a covering note explaining your interest in and suitability for the role to CEO Marie Benton – email@example.com – no later than February 14th 2020. If you’d like an informal chat about the role do give Marie a call on 07941 260874. She generally works Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays.